"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, September 30, 2011

A Scandal On the Verge of Tragedy - Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani

Iran is preparing to execute a Christian cleric for the crime of being a Christian, supposedly because, although he has never been a Muslim, he has Muslim "heritage," and thus his Christianity is considered apostasy, punishable under sharia.   The man's name is Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani, leader of the Church of Iran denomination in Rasht.   Here is a picture of him:


Please keep him in your prayers.   And, whenever you can, talk to people about his plight.   Only an upswelling of outrage from America will stop this tragedy.

***

Oh, and here's what I'd like to do: I'd send NYC policemen and FBI agents into the United Nations with guns drawn and arrest the Iranian ambassador and his entire staff for crimes against humanity.   Then I'd threaten to try them in a military commission (a la Nuremburg), seeking the death penalty.   Might get their attention.

My old man had a simpler view of these sorts of things.   His default position was to tell America's enemies to stop doing X (whatever X was), or their biggest city would "be no more after noon tomorrow."   As in, "release Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani immediately or Tehran will be no more."

So, you see, I'm the moderate in our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment