"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, September 29, 2011

It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This

One of the best nights of my life in terms of watching baseball.   As Harry Caray would have said when I was a kid and he was still calling Cardinals games, "Holy Cow!"



Or, as Jack Buck would have said, "That's a winner!"

Now that that's over, how about we just go ahead and win the whole thing?


UPDATE:

Here's a cool chart from a website called "coolstandings.com" that shows the Cardinals' chances of making the playoffs throughout the season.  


As it shows, the Cardinals had practically no chance in late August, and only really got close to having a decent chance in the past few days.   The blue line represents our chances of winning the division, which were nil by late August and stayed nil as the Brewers pulled away.   But the red line was our chance of making the playoffs (as a wild card, which is represented by the black line).   As we kept winning and the Braves collapsed, our chances skyrocketed.

Which is to say, echoing Churchill, never ever ever ever ever give up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment