"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, September 26, 2011

Girls of the Day - Phyllis Calvert, Joanne Connelly, Brenda Frazier

One of my guilty pleasures is looking at Life magazines from half a century ago.   It's always amazing to me how people who were famous enough to make the cover are all forgotten now, although in the photographs they seem so young and vital.   Here's one, of a young British actress who was playing Peter Pan on Broadway, Phyllis Calvert:


Here's another, of a debutante named Joanne Connelly, who unfortunately died very young, at 27:



Here's the last, one of the more famous debutantes ever, Brenda Frazier, who also led a rather sad life:



Sic transit gloria mundi.

No comments:

Post a Comment