"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Girls of the Day - More Pin Ups, Please!

Having found a web-site with a source for 1940s pin-ups -- paintings that were cover art for "girly" magazines -- I thought I'd favor my Regular Readers with a few more, this one from artist Billy Devorrs:



And here's one (a little more racy) from Gillette Elvgren:




Finally, here's one from Peter Driben:



I suspect that this genre does not exist anymore, and that's a pity.  We've grown so literal, and we've lost the sense that allure is more a matter of imagination than gratification.   It makes us less romantic, less classy, and, I think, less fulfilled in the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment