"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, September 16, 2011

Girls of the Day - 1940s Pin-Ups from Girlie Magazines

I don't know about you, but the fact that these relatively tame illustrations from 1940s "girlie" magazines passed for racy in the 1940s for men returning home from World War II tells me as much as anything how much we've fallen as a culture.   Here's one from Alberto Vargas:



Now, Edward Runci:



Finally, here's one from Earl Moran:



They're actually quite beautiful, I think.   But, man.... what a different world we live in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment