"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Girl of the Day - Shalane Flanagan

Just got back from the Regular Son's cross country meet.   The boy got another personal best today, so we're improving steadily, which is good.   And what a wonderful, wholesome sport -- so many nice kids trying so hard and doing something so well.   When you see your own child running three miles in eighteen minutes or so, it's an amazing thing.  How did he become that person?  

Anyway, for a girl of the day I thought I'd find a great long-distance runner, and the best female American runner today by far is Shalane Flanagan, who won bronze in the 2008 Olympics at 10,000 meters, and currently holds the American records at every distance, including 3,000 meters, 5,000 meters and 10,000 meters, and who also is a very pretty girl.   The only downside is that she went to UNC-Chapel Hill, which we Dukies do.  Not.   Like.  

No comments:

Post a Comment