"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Girl of the Day - More Life Magazine, Please!

Continuing yesterday's theme of looking at old Life covers, I thought I'd look to see what the young men returning home from World War II in Europe might have read in, say, July 1945.    They might have seen this May 1945 cover of starlet Barbara Bates (completely unknown to me... I guess this starlet never became a star):



Or they might have seen this July 1945 cover shot of an unknown model.   (Note:  I am not without sympathy for young men on a ship full of men after years of war with nothing more than a Life magazine to comfort them.)



Finally, if they happened to look inside the July 1945 magazine with a cover shot of hero Audie Murphy, they would have found this picture of Rita Hayworth:


Goodness gracious.   That sort of thing ought to be outlawed.

No comments:

Post a Comment