"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Girl of the Day - Mira Sorvino

I was looking for interesting birthdays today -- Confucious was apparently born today, although I'm not sure how anyone would know that -- and I noticed that the actress Mira Sorvino was turning 44.   That seems remarkable to me:  actresses seem to be the next new young thing and then, a blink later, are 44 and you wonder what happened to them.   Sorvino won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1995 in the Woody Allen film Mighty Aphrodite, and she's done a lot of mostly forgettable movies since, but what she's really done (and I think this is typical, and explains not just why actresses tend to disappear, but why the phenomenon we describe inaccurately as the "glass ceiling" for women in business occurs) is have three children.   Good for her.  

I also noted with interest that Sorvino is a Harvard grad with a degree in East Asian Studies, and that she speaks fluid Mandarin.   She seems like a cool person too in other words and not just a piece of cheesecake.

That being said, this feature is what it is (an almost purely cynical attempt to drive traffic to The Regular Guy Believes... okay, I said it):



Confucius saying: "I have never seen a man as fond of virtue as of women."  

No comments:

Post a Comment