"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, September 26, 2011

Christie Chatter

There's lots of chatter today about Chris Christie, the Governor of New Jersey, supposedly re-considering running for President.    I've got a problem with this.

I like Christie a lot, or at least what little I know of him.  But one of our main, principled criticisms of Obama is that he lacked experience coming into the White House, and has been incompetent because of it.   I don't see how pumping up a guy who's been Governor of New Jersey for less than two years, and before that was a garden-variety USA, helps that argument.   Christie is not ready, and if he ran we'd be doing exactly what we said the Democrats did in foisting Obama on us -- turning to someone who has charisma, but not much else.  

Moreover, here's what I don't know sitting here today about Chris Christie:

1.   His position on illegal immigration from Mexico.
2.   His position on abortion.
3.   His position on man-made global warming.
4.   His position on Obamacare.
5.   His position on same-sex marriage.
6.   His position on school-choice.
7.   His position on the Israel-Palestinian conflict.
8.   His position on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
9.   What he would do if Iran goes nuclear.
10.  What he would do if the PIIGS default.
11.  What does he think about China?  
12.  What does he think about Russia?  

I do know that I like what I've heard from him about taking on the teachers' unions and public employee unions in New Jersey.   I do know that I like what he's done in terms of reining in New Jersey's budget.   But I could say the same about Scott Walker of Wisconsin, and Walker has significantly more executive experience (County executive of Milwaukee County for eight years before becoming Wisconsin's governor).
  
If Christie ran, people would start talking about how disappointing he was in the debates when pushed outside of his rhetorical comfort zone into questions he likely hasn't ever answered before.

Not.   Ready.   To.   Be.   President.   

No comments:

Post a Comment