"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Can You Hear the Whispering?


Prediction from the Regular Guy.   Start listening for the name "Evan Bayh."   Bayh, a two-term governor and a two-term Senator from Indiana, is the exact kind of centrist, business-oriented Democrat that could pull the Dems chestnuts out of the fire.   He "retired" from the Senate in 2011, but he had a $13 million campaign war chest, and he had formed exploratory committees in 2008 (before bailing because he expected Hillary Clinton to win).   He was also floated as Obama's VP, so he was vetted, and he might also have a chip on his shoulder because Obama picked Biden over him (undoubtedly because only Biden could make Obama look like a Sun King... Bayh would have been too obviously a smarter and stronger figure).

If we are really at a "tipping point" for Obama -- and I think we are -- the Democratic Party powers-that-are aren't going to let the party self-immolate without a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment