"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Birthday Today - Paul Muni

Paul Muni, one of the greatest Hollywood actors of the 1930s, and easily the most forgotten today, was born today in 1895.   Muni was nominated for six Academy Awards, and won one, for The Story of Louis Pasteur.   His most famous role, however, was undoubtedly 1932's original Scarface.   Muni was an incredibly shy person in real life supposedly, but was one of the precursor's of the "method" acting school, immersing himself in his characters through deep research.   He later acted on stage with a young Brando, which seems fitting.   Here he is as Scarface:

No comments:

Post a Comment