"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Girl of the Day - U.S. Open Version (Caroline Wozniacki)

I strongly suspect that the tennis being played today is far superior to the tennis that was played thirty or so years ago by Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova and that like.   But the popularity of watching tennis among the casual, general sports fan, is at a very low ebb, and the popularity of playing tennis is even lower.   When I was a teenager, it was literally impossible to get on a public tennis court without waiting.   Now, it's practically impossible to find anyone using them -- vacant tennis courts litter the American landscape like archaelogical sites.   Perhaps it's different abroad, where most of the great tennis players now come from.   Perhaps in the Spain of Rafael Nadal, or the Switzerland of Roger Federer, or the Serbia of Novak Djokovic -- the three giants of today's men's tennis.    Perhaps in Denmark, where the current women's #1 comes from -- Caroline Wozniacki.   Wozniacki has been #1 for almost a year, yet has never one a Grand Slam tournament.   Maybe she will in the U.S. Open, which just started yesterday.   If she does, I suspect her name and face will become very widely known in America -- she's a pretty cute girl, not Anna Kournikova cute, but still... cute:



Oh, and since I mentioned Kournikova:



OK, that's just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment