"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Girl of the Day - Planet of the Apes Version (Frieda Pinto)

The Regular Son and I went to see the movie Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which was remarkably exciting and remarkably stupid all at the same time.   Glaring plot holes were everywhere -- did none of the neighbors or friends or postmen or refrigerator repairmen ever notice that the "scientist" character played by James Franco (not believeable for a second, but put that aside) had a ridiculously smart ape living in his house playing chess and wearing clothes?   No one noticed?   He never spilled the beans to anyone?   And the pharmaceutical company he works for... no one ever noticed that he was stealing vial after vial of its experimental Alzheimers drug?   And no one ever noticed that his father, whose Alzheimers was the reason Franco's character went into science in the first place, has miraculously gotten better?   Oh, and in the climactic battle scene, none of the highly trained Army personnel considered the possibility that the apes might outflank them?  And none of them called in, oh, air strikes on the apes and instead let them get into hand-to-hand combat with them?  

I don't know, maybe it's me, but I expect more from my talking ape movies.  

Anyway, here's Frieda Pinto, who was also in Slumdog Millionaire, and appears in Rise as Franco's girlfriend:





No comments:

Post a Comment