"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, August 29, 2011

Girl of the Day - If We're Going to Hell in a Handbasket, We Might As Well Have Fun Version (Marilyn Monroe's Heart Belongs to Daddy)

I've been reading Mark Steyn's new book, After America.   So I'm more than usually cynical and depressed.   In such moments, you have to fall back on the mental list of what makes life worth living.   The Regular Family:  Wife, Son, Daughters, Dog.   The St. Louis Cardinals.   The Green Bay Packers.   The Duke Blue Devils.   Listening to good music at the tip of your fingertips on Youtube -- I listened to Arturo Toscanini conduct Beethoven's Fifth last night and then, with the click of a button, I listened to 1975 Bruce Springsteen doing "Kitty's Back."   What a great world we live in.  

And, of course, there's this sort of thing:



Let me also say:  the Polish subtitles really do it for me.   Again, what a great world!

No comments:

Post a Comment