"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Girl of the Day - Elizabeth Banks








Elizabeth Banks has been in a number of decent recent comedies, including The 40 Year-Old Virgin, Definitely, Maybe, and this year's Our Idiot Brother, never quite breaking out into big-time stardom.   She's awfully cute, but I can't help thinking that she plays better as a kind of bitchy second banana rather than as a romantic lead.   Anyway, the Regular Son and I saw Our Idiot Brother today:  it's pretty funny, and Paul Rudd is charming as a kind of modern stoner Prince Myshkin (from Doestoevsky's The Idiot).   Nothing great, but an enjoyable 90 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment