"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Girl of the Day - Brit Marling

I haven't seen here in any movies (she's starring in and co-wrote the new sci-fi film Another Earth) but the kind of buzz she's generating makes it seem like Brit Marling is the next Meryl Streep.   An example is this effusion from Ross Douthat in National Review:
Marling has a great face, period:  Long and luminous and expressive, with precisely the mix of loveliness and mystery that separates the potential movie star from the mere onscreen beauty.... Whether Brit Marling keeps turning out scripts or not, every director in Hollywood should be lining up to make sure that she keeps on starring in them.  

1 comment:

  1. If she's as good as Meryl as they say, i'd line up to see her. But so many others have been likened to her only to disappear in oblivion after their second movie because they lose the Meryl light Beauty without brains (and soul) is not Meryl.

    ReplyDelete