"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Call Me A Crazy Right-Wing Extremist, But...


Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York's decision not to allow any clergy at the memorial service for 9/11 strikes me as just weird.   I can't imagine a scenario where a prayer before such a service isn't offered as a matter of course.   We offer prayers at Inaugurations and at the opening of every day of Congress.   So I'm less offended by the decision than I'm just baffled.   It's a very, very strange choice by an increasingly out of touch Mayor.   Where's common sense?   Where's common decency?  

Of  course, this is the same Mayor Bloomberg who thought building a mosque at Ground Zero was just peachy, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.   And who think trans-fats in foods are a great danger to society, but getting the streets cleared after a snowstorm is just too much.   Mark Steyn, as always, captures the idiocy of Bloomberg as an example of the liberal elite:
By the way, doesn’t government have a compelling public purpose in keeping the streets free of snow? Too boring for Bloomberg, who flew off to his weekend pad in Bermuda and left New Yorkers without second homes offshore to make the best of it. That’s the very model of a can-do technocrat in the age of Big Government: He can regulate the salt out of your cheeseburger but he can’t regulate it on to Seventh Avenue.
Very, very odd hierarchy of values.    

No comments:

Post a Comment