"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, July 15, 2011

Syria On the Radar Screen?

Is Syria on America's radar screen yet?   A million protestors in the street, according to this article at least, and the government firing into the crowd, killing 17?   Do we care?  Or do we only care about freedom for Middle Eastern peoples when it's in the President's short-term political interest to care (Libya) and he thinks he can do the job on the cheap?   (Hasn't worked out that way in Libya, which is now in the fourth month of a non-war with a non-assassination assassination strategy, but still.... it was supposed to be easy and quick, which is how Obama appears to like things.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment