"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Birthdays Today - Sly

It's Sylvester Stallone's birthday.  At one point, Stallone was the Regular Son's favorite Hollywood star, and Rocky was his favorite movie.   He could have done worse.   Stallone famously sold his screenplay for Rocky for much less than he could have in order to ensure that he could also star in the movie.   I suspect that there are more than a few stars, like Stallone, who got their beginnings through sheer will and daring -- risk-taking, in other words, just like other entrepreneurs.   And, of course, they work in an industry where they are constantly judged on performance, fired (or not hired) for non-performance, and generally required to compete all the time for scarce roles.   Weird how so many of them then become liberals.  Stallone didn't, which is to his credit.

Here is a trailer hyping Stallone as the next Brando for his role in Rocky:





Oh, by the way, he's 65. Man, does that make me feel old.

No comments:

Post a Comment