"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, June 24, 2011

Paul Ryan, My Hero

UPDATE: I've bumped this post to the top because it's so important.   A number of bloggers have commented on the exchange between Ryan and CBO chief Doug Elmendorf (below), but Powerline sums it up best:
The Democratic Party has defaulted on the most basic duty of a democratic government: it refuses to say how it intends to spend the people's money.
***

As a lawyer, you try to prepare your witnesses to give the answer you want in a forceful and persuasive manner.   Paul Ryan isn't a lawyer, but he's got the idea down pat.   Here he is questioning Doug Elmendorf from the Congressional Budget Office about Obama's "framework" for deficit reduction, announced in the President's April 2011 speech:



Ouch.   I know this was a set up to get a maximally-effective sound bite, but still... that's gotta leave a mark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment