"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Max Weinberg Experience (with Mindy Abair)

It took the Regular Son to Summerfest last night to hear Bruce Springsteen's drummer, Max Weinberg, and his band.   It was great.... fantastic musicians playing classic 1960s and 1970s R&B songs.   The main singer was Bill Champlin of Chicago, but the hit of the show was Mindy Abair, a jazz saxaphonist, who is tall and blonde and, well, you get the picture.   The only downside was the sparse crowd, probably under 500 people... good music and great musicians apparently aren't enough... if you're not the latest hip thing, or else a big name, you can't draw, I guess.   But it was a really fun show, and the Regular Son liked it, so that's all that matters.  

Here is Mindy Abair from 2008 with a different group, but it gives you the flavor of what we saw last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment