"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Girl Sunday - Li Na

Li Na, winner yesterday of the French Open, is the first Chinese woman to ever win a Grand Slam tennis title.   Is this a harbinger of things to come in sports?   I think so.   Affluence coupled with population equals a larger pool of talent from which outstanding athletes can emerge.    Big high schools beat smaller high schools, big state colleges beat smaller colleges, and big countries will, on average, and over time, beat smaller countries.  


From a "girl of the day" perspective, however, I guess I could have hoped that she wouldn't have defeated Maria Sharapova in the semis.   That may be cultural bias, but what can you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment