"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Girl of the Day - Maria Sharapova

UPDATE:   Sharapova made it to the semifinals today with an easy 6-1, 6-1 victory over Dominika Cibulkova from Slovakia.   The question arises... why are so many of the top women tennis players from Eastern Europe?   If it wasn't for Serena and Venus Williams, American tennis would be a wasteland.   The men's side is no better... Andy Roddick at 30 is still the highest ranked American at #10 in the world.   Where are the young American superstars that will bring tennis back in America?   Not playing tennis, that's for sure.    
 
***

Maria Sharapova has made it through to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon.   Care to wager on how much the TV networks want her to make it all the way to the final?   I can see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment