"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Girl of the Day - Back to Basics with Bette Davis

Leaving the Caribbean today, so the SI swimsuit girls go on hiatus.   Time to go back to the tried-and-true classics.   Here, for instance, is the great Bette Davis:



A conventional beauty?  Maybe not.  But radiating intelligence and class?   Definitely.   A different era, a different standard. 

On the other hand, maybe it was the 1940s hairdos.   Here's a younger Bette Davis, probably from the late 1920s, early 1930s.... pretty darn cute, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment