"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Girl of the Day - Another Nineteenth Century Novel-to-Movie Heroine: Amanda Root

While I've been stuck on Pride and Prejudice lately, it occurred to me that I should tout what I think is the best of the Jane Austen novels-to-movies, the 1995 version of Persuasion starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds.   Root plays the very plain Anne Elliott, who is wooed by and ultimately marries Captain Wentworth, played by Hinds.   It's a wonderful, moving story, and very well done, without the hype and over-glamorization of the Keira Knightley P&P.   Here's Amanda Root in the movie:



And here's a clip from the movie (sorry for the Spanish subtitles), where Captain Wentworth, back from a long voyage, finally reveals his love of Anne to her family, which has always ignored and belittled her:

No comments:

Post a Comment