"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Birthdays Today - The Other Clarence


It would be disrespectful to call him the "Big Man," but he's certainly a major figure -- it's Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' birthday today.   Justice Thomas is 63, which means that, God willing, we might have him on the Court as a staunch and principled conservative and originalist for another 15-20 years.   I won't mention the bizarre and scurrilous attacks on him during his confirmation; just say that he was right to call them a "high-tech lynching."   A great man, and a great American.

No comments:

Post a Comment