"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, May 23, 2011

Birthdays Today

Other than the Right Curmudgeon/Regular Guy himself, who turns LII today (seems better in Roman numerals), there are only a couple of interesting birthdays, both of female singers of different vintages.   The first is Rosemary Clooney, born in 1928, who had a great deep voice, perfect for smoky ballads of the 50s.   Here she is singing one from her only big starring movie role, in White Christmas:



The second is Jewel (no last name), born in 1974 (can she really be 37... eek!).   Here is her debut single, "Who Will Save Your Soul."   Very cute girl, somewhat marginal career since then (although that's true for most of us who never have a hit in anything):  

No comments:

Post a Comment