"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Earth Day? Really?

This Friday is the day we celebrate "Earth Day," a quasi-religious, borderline public holiday that will spawn all kinds of rhapsodies from the mainstream media about global warming and similar human-inflicted ailments of the planet. 

This Friday is also, of course, an actually religious holy day, Good Friday, consecrated by Christians the world over as the day their Savior, Jesus Christ, was crucified and died for our sins.  

One of these is real and important.   The other is manufactured and trivial.  

Would Muslims tolerate Earth Day on the first day of Ramadan?  Would Jews tolerate Earth Day landing smack atop Rosh Hashanah? 

Didn't anyone think that, maybe, just maybe, having a secular tree-worshipping holiday right on top of one of the most holy, if not the holiest day in Christendom, might be a tad offensive?

Once again, Catholics are the one religion, the one "minority," that it's acceptable to offend. 

I'm just sayin'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment