"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, April 8, 2011

And, as if on Cue, the Circus Comes to Town

When your job is fomenting unrest and grandstanding against Republicans, Wisconsin is apparently the place to be.   From today's Journal-Sentinel:
JoAnne Kloppenburg, the challenger in the see-saw election for Wisconsin Supreme Court, will appear with the Rev. Jesse Jackson in Milwaukee on Friday, according to a news release from Jackson's Chicago-based Rainbow/PUSH Coalition.
Kloppenburg, Milwaukee County Executive-elect Chris Abele and unidentified Milwaukee elected officials are to attend a news conference with Jackson, the release says.
The news conference is scheduled for 1:15 p.m. at Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 2207 N. 2nd St.
Jackson is coming to Milwaukee to discuss Tuesday's "dynamic elections and what's next," the release says.
I am reminded of Tom Wolfe's great essay, "Mau-Mauing the Flak-Catchers," for obvious reasons.   And it's also worth touting Kenneth Timmerman's book from a few years back on Jackson's career.   It's aptly-titled, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment