"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, February 7, 2011

On the Other Hand... The Worst Halftime Show Ever


The secretaries on my floor (whose opinions about matters of common sense are invaluable) agree that the Black Eyed Peas' halftime show at the Super Bowl was atrocious.   Here are the last six Super Bowl halftime shows:

2005 - Paul McCartney
2006 - The Rolling Stones
2007 - Prince
2008 - Tom Petty
2009 - Bruce Springsteen
2010 - The Who

All of those (OK, maybe not Tom Petty) are all time great rock-and-roll acts, and all of them, for better or worse, can be counted on to play actual music on actual instruments competently.   The Black Eyed Peas, by contrast, are overproduced synthetic studio rap and dance music.   I can't imagine anyone listening to a whole album of their stuff, much less listening to their songs with pleasure 30 or 40 years from now.   It was like they literally didn't know what they were doing out there in terms of entertaining a live audience on stage; they just stood around and did various strange movements in place -- not dancing anyway -- and shouted out strange things at odd times and called it music.   Truly weird.  

I'm not saying we should go back to the days of the Grambling Marching Band and Up With People, or Carol Channing and Al Hirt, but still.... wow, that was strange stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment