"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Girl Wednesday - Shirley Jones


I was 11 when the TV hit show The Partridge Family came out, so unfortunately I remember Shirley Jones most as the wise mother foil of David Cassidy, Susan Dey, Danny Bonaduce and the other Partridge kids.  It's hard to even imagine how big David Cassidy got in the early 1970s, and how weird that phenomenon looks in retrospect, so it's good to remember that Jones was the female lead in three of the greatest Hollywood musicals, Oklahoma, Carousel and The Music Man.   Here she is, singing a great love duet from The Music Man with Robert Preston, "Till There Was You."

No comments:

Post a Comment