"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Girl Tuesday - Christine McKenna

Having just watched the great BBC series Downton Abbey, I recalled a somewhat similar series set at an English country home just before World War I that came out in the late 1970s called Flambards.  The series involved a girl who is a distant cousin of a landed family that, destitute, comes to live with them, only to find that the manor is itself heavily mortgaged and dilapidated, and that the two brothers of the family (who ultimately vie for her hand) hate each other.   It was a lovely show with one of the weirdest theme songs ever.  

Anyway, the girl, "Christina," was played by a young British actress, Christine McKenna, who like all of the really great young actresses in BBC shows, has never been heard from again.


Here is the theme song via Youtube.   Sorry if you won't be able to get this out of your head.




Also, through the miracle of Amazon, you can get Flambards on DVD, and it's well worth a watch, particularly if you can't wait to see the next season of Downton Abbey. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Twenty one years later YTV were able to find her
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eahBhgn79mI

    ReplyDelete