"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Girl Thursday - Edie Brickell

My beautiful wife is a big fan of the satellite radio station called "Coffeehouse," which plays mostly acoustic guitar songs that would appeal to what I would call the "hipeoisie" -- people who are nostalgic for a college coffeehouse lifestyle.  On the other hand, it's pretty good music, and I listen to it occasionally too when my son is not inflicting yet another Bruce Springsteen song on me.   Anyway, she mentioned a name that I had not heard for years, Edie Brickell, who I recall having one hit song and then marrying Paul Simon.   According to Wikipedia (is there any other source for casual information anymore?), she's now about to turn 45 (in March), her big hit "What I Am" was 23 years ago (eek!), and she's still married to Simon (they have three kids).   Again, time flies.


Here's the song, which still is pretty catchy, when she performed it on Saturday Night Live:


No comments:

Post a Comment