"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, February 28, 2011

Girl Monday - Jean Marsh

After watching Downton Abbey, my lovely and gracious wife and I have been watching the great old BBC show, Upstairs/Downstairs, which was produced by and starred the British actress, Jean Marsh.  It's a remarkable show, with each episode a self-contained drama (really a small stage play) set in the household of a wealthy Tory MP, Sir Richard Bellamy, and his wife, Lady Marjorie.   Marsh plays the parlour maid, Rose, with Gordon Jackson in a great turn as the butler, Mr. Hudson.  

Here's Marsh in costume:



And here she is in her street clothes:



No comments:

Post a Comment