"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, February 14, 2011

Girl Monday - Grammy Version

It's my general view that the Grammy Awards -- and popular music in general -- are at a nadir.   Perhaps that's just the view of an old fogey.  But I can't help thinking that the "best song" of the year, "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum, is absolutely generic, and won't be listened to in another five years, much less another fifty years.   Meanwhile, if you look back to 1960, the best album of the year was "Come Dance With Me!" by Frank Sinatra.   No contest.




On the other hand, you have to admit that Katy Perry is semi-cute and has assets that would have been valued back in the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment