"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Birthdays Today

Truly mediocre birthdays today.   Horace Greeley, the abolitionist newspaperman?   Walter Bagehot, the British writer and economist?  Fred Lynn of the Bosox?   Bah.  

It is, however, Blythe Danner's birthday.  Born in 1943, Danner was the beautiful and husky-voiced actress who regularly showed up in relatively high-brow TV in the 1970s -- I remember her best as the love interest for Hawkeye Pierce in the TV version of M*A*S*H back when it was a good show (before Alan Alda took over writing it and turned the show into a mush of liberal piety).   Danner is also the mother of Gwyneth Paltrow, which raises the question.... are they the hottest mother-daughter combination in Hollywood history?   Consider:






I'd consider Danner-Paltrow to be a heavy favorite over Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli, although it's hard to argue against the proposition that Garland-Minnelli were much much more talented (Minnelli in Cabaret might be the greatest single performance by an actress in a movie musical in Hollywood history).    




Who else?   How about Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson?  Or Janet Leigh and Jamie Lee Curtis?   I think I might still take Danner-Paltrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment