"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Work and Pleasure

I didn't blog yesterday because I was getting ready for a business trip and then traveling.  Tonight I am in Baltimore, a lovely (if poor) city, with a beautiful Inner Harbor area.    Last night I had crabcakes; today I had a full and productive work day for my favorite client; tonight I watched a really good movie (127 Hours with James Franco) and then went out for sushi and a couple of really good drinks (Grey Goose on the rocks with a twist of lemon).   I have avoided entirely the President's State of the Union address, which will no doubt be a cynical attempt to package liberalism as centrism, and huge government spending as fiscal conservatism.   Good.   Work and pleasure:  a good day's labor, with a high component of creativity and intellect, followed by a good movie and a few stiff drinks and a few nice pieces of raw fish.  Yum.   There is much more to life than politics.  

Life is worth living.   Keep saying it.  Life is worth living.   One more time.  Live is worth living.  

OK, maybe I shouldn't have finished off that second drink.  

No comments:

Post a Comment