"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Smile of the Day - "We're Not Interested in Compromising"


Paul Ryan has taken charge on the House Budget Committee.   Here's a transcript of an interview with Congressman Ryan on the Hugh Hewitt show.   This is the kind of talk we need from GOP leaders now:
We’re not interested in compromising so we just end up raising taxes, that’s not where we’re going. We are going to be true to our principles, unlike the last time we were in the majority. We’re not going to make that mistake again. And so my guess is we will fight this thing out over the summer on discretionary spending, and then in the fall, you’ll have some kind of a, you know, a budget fight on discretionary spending. On the big ticket items, on Medicare and Medicaid, it is difficult for me to see the President and his party, you know, all of a sudden saying you know what? You Republicans are right. Obamacare was wrong, these things are getting out of control, we want to repeal this stuff. I have a hard time believing that’s going to happen. That should nevertheless not dissuade us from defining ourselves with our actions, telling the American people who we are, what we would do differently, and then giving them a very crystal clear choice in the 2012 election. We’re not going to settle every issue in this session of Congress. There are big philosophical disagreements. Basically, it’s individualism versus collectivism, is how I would generically describe the philosophical disagreements here. And we owe it to the country to give them alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment