"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Girl Wednesday - Peggy Fleming

It's hard to overstate how big Peggy Fleming was when she won the gold medal for figure skating in the 1968 Olympics.   American pop culture was such a smaller circle then... there were only 3 TV networks, and literally everyone was watching the Winter Olympics and knew and talked about Fleming and Jean Claude-Killy, the great French skier who swept the slalom, giant slalom and downhill.   Fleming was America's sweetheart then in a way that reallly hasn't been duplicated since in sports.



A story I had forgotten:  Fleming won the only gold medal America won in the 1968 Olympics, and her gold was particularly important, because the U.S. figure skating team had essentially been wiped out in a plane crash in 1961 traveling to the World Championships.  

No comments:

Post a Comment