"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, January 7, 2011

Girl Friday - Rosalind Russell



Rosalind Russell wasn't the greatest beauty in Hollywood, but she was a great stage and screen presence -- probably better on the stage actually, where she won a Tony Award in 1953 for the musical Wonderful Town and was even more famous for her role in Auntie Mame.   Her ratatatat dialogue with Cary Grant in the 1940 screwball comedy His Girl Friday is some of the greatest in movie history.  



Russell was also Catholic, and was married once, for 35 years, until her death in 1976.  

No comments:

Post a Comment