"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Birthdays Today

Robert Duvall, probably America's greatest living actor, was born today in 1931.   Duvall is a master of understatement, so his greatness was overlooked for much of his career while the DeNiros and Pacinos chewed the scenery.   It's hard to beat work like this in the truly great movie Tender Mercies.   But oddly, this overt-the-top moment is the scene he'll be most remembered for, from Apocalypse Now:



It's also Diane Keaton's birthday -- in 1946.   Her turn in Annie Hall is, well, it's probably the reason why my daughter is named Annie:


No comments:

Post a Comment