"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Obamanometer

As if on cue after my remarks below on P.J. O'Rourke's latest article -- in which I discussed my thesis that no one ought to be President who, like Bill Clinton, wanted to be President from an early age and, more damning still, thought that he ought to be President -- Jonathan Last has a new article on Obama's vanity called "American Narcissus."   It's a great article, and you should read the whole thing, but here is the funniest part to me at least (as someone who went through law school):
People have been noticing Obama’s vanity for a long time. In 2008, one of his Harvard Law classmates, the entertainment lawyer Jackie Fuchs, explained what Obama was like during his school days: “One of our classmates once famously noted that you could judge just how pretentious someone’s remarks in class were by how high they ranked on the ‘Obamanometer,’ a term that lasted far longer than our time at law school. Obama didn’t just share in class—he pontificated. He knew better than everyone else in the room, including the teachers. ”

No comments:

Post a Comment