"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, November 29, 2010

Obama in Jesusland

Remember how the Left criticized and ridiculed George W. Bush for his overt Christianity?   Here's an example from the way-back machine, from a lefty blogger named Ken Layne, writing about the 2004 election:

I've never had a problem with actual conservatives ... But I've got a big problem with Jesusland. If you want to worship the ghost of a jew from the Roman Empire, that's cool. Enjoy it! But when you people and your bizarre mystery cult claim the goddamned president as your prime convert who rules by the voices in his head, I call bullshit.
Now, here is Barack Obama on his own religious practice:
"Michelle and I have not only benefited from our prayer life, but I think the girls have too," the president told [Barbara] Walters. "We say grace before we eat dinner every night. We take turns."... When asked if he prays himself, the president said: "I do. Every night."   He also says that he reads the Bible.  
Why does the Left not castigate and ridicule Obama for his Christianity?  Isn't this a ridiculously obvious double standard?

Actually, I don't think it is a double standard.   I think the atheist Left hates George W. Bush and cuts Obama slack for a very simple reason that is entirely consistent.   They hate (or, rather, feel intellectually superior to) Christians.   So they hate George W. Bush, because he is one.   But they just don't think Obama is sincere or honest in what he's saying here to Barbara Walters (of all people).   They see it for what it is:  a cynical political ploy, designed to help him move back to the center politically.   They realize Obama doesn't mean what he's saying.  George W. Bush actually meant it when he professed his faith.  

No comments:

Post a Comment