"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Man

Stan Musial is finally to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, after a long campaign by St. Louis Cardinals fans.   When your nickname is "The Man," you know what kind of player and person you have to be.   My dad got me a Stan Musial autographed picture when I was little; my son has it now.  A great American and the greatest Cardinal.   So great, in fact, that the second greatest Cardinal (at least for now), Albert Pujols, has asked not to be called "El Hombre" (Spanish for "The Man") because there's only one The Man in St. Louis.   Sports Illustrated had an article earlier this year on Musial that brought tears to my eyes.   "Stan Musial," his teammate Bob Gibson says, "is the nicest man I ever met in baseball."

No comments:

Post a Comment