"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Girl Thursday - Suzy Parker


Perhaps the most famous model of the 1950s, Suzy Parker was a mild success as an actress.  I remember her most as the female lead in an interesting but ultimately not-too-good Cary Grant World War II movie called Kiss Them For Me, in which Grant plays a Marine flyer fresh from Guadalcanal living it up in a posh San Francisco hotel on leave, all the while pretending that he has never seen combat.   Very strange voice in the movie; I always wondered whether they over-dubbed her with some other actress.  Parker had a long marriage to the actor Bradford Dillman, with whom she had three children; she was essentially retired by the early 1960s.

No comments:

Post a Comment