"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Birthdays Today


Joe DiMaggio was born today in 1914.   Query:  is Joe DiMaggio, like Derek Jeter, overrated because he played in New York for the Yankees?  This is not to say they are not great players, only that they are not quite as great as everyone thinks they are.   Consider these career statistics:

1390 runs, 2214 hits, 389 doubles, 131 triples, 361 homeruns, 1537 RBIs, lifetime .325 batting average

Now compare these:

1949 runs, 3630 hits, 725 doubles, 177 triples, 475 homeruns, 1951 RBIs, lifetime .331 batting average.

The first one is DiMaggio's, and they are very very good.  But the second set of statistics are, you guessed it, Stan Musial's, and they are better by far in every category.   Yet, when the greatest outfielders of the 20th Century were voted on by fans, DiMaggio made the Top 10 easily, while Musial had to be added as a "special" panel selection, an after thought.   

I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment