"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Monday, October 25, 2010

Smile of the Day

As I think about what I'd like this blog to be about, the word that comes to mind is "cheerfulness."  The Regular Guy works hard, but works cheerfully.  The Regular Guy is cheerful at the dinner table with his family -- at least he tries to be!   The Regular Guy has a cheerful wife -- at least most of the time!   The Regular Guy loves the sound of children playing, children laughing -- a cheerful house.  The Regular Guy goes to church on Sunday to be refreshed in his cheerfulness, because life is a gift from God.   The Regular Guy drinks a beer with his friends watching a football game.   The Regular Guy shares his good fortune with his neighbors cheerfully.   The Regular Guy bears his burdens with a manly cheerfulness.   The Regular Guy goes to Fourth of July fireworks and Irish Dance contests and Little League baseball games and laughs a lot.  The Regular Guy loves his country.  

The problem with our politics today, of which I will have more to say, is that the elites that pretend to be our betters and presume to govern us don't really like us Regular Guys, and don't share our cheerfulness.   But we want -- we crave -- leaders who understand who we are, who don't condescend to us, who believe in us, like us, and rejoice in our pursuit of happiness.   In short, we want leaders who are cheerful.  

Toward that end, the smile of the day:


1 comment:

  1. Like a breath of fresh air. RR, now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete