"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Friday, October 29, 2010

Birthdays Today

Not a lot of famous birthdays today.   But the one that jumped out at me was the great Bill Mauldin, cartoonist of the World War II infantryman, who was born in 1921.  It's surprising that he was so young himself when he was covering the young men who fought their way across Europe.   Anyway, happy birthday to a man who gave us the indelible characters of WW II grunts, Willie and Joe:


"I guess it's okay. The replacement center says
he comes from a long line of infantrymen."

No comments:

Post a Comment